Thursday, July 14, 2011

design and building process

My initial sketches were on a chalkboard in the studio. I decided I wanted to focus on the pentagon shape like my prototype. I started plugging in dimensions and figuring out ways I could make an efficient mold that would produce 4 blocks rather than 1.

I put my design on the computer so I could focus on the singular unit as well as the whole mould.



After making multiple copies of my design, I started figuring out extrusion methods. The outer edges would open up and the middle of each unit would be supported by blocks with a handle for leverage.

I made a life-size print to use as a building stencil.

I quickly realized that the multiple unit mould would be way more complicated to extrude than a singular unit, so I switched my design.


I came up with a revised design and extruding method. The diagram below depicts the inner mould being supported by blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment