Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vegatative Arch

Image 02 - Hanging a chain shows the optimum catenary curve for the specific height and width of my arch.



Image 05 - A rough idea of what I would have liked to do. Originally, I would have liked to put a design on all my blocks, which would have required I learn how to sculpt, and I didn't have the time. Also, I considered varying heights of each block.


Autocad 1
Autocad 2

Autocad 3

Image 08 - Laser cut stencils of each block.



Image 09 - Using the stencils, and a jigsaw, I cut out the sides of each block's form.



Image 14

Image 10 - I created the desired curve of the blocks top and bottoms by repeating layers of styrofoam.



Image 12


Image 16 - Filing to create a more uniform surface.



Image 17


Image 18


Image 20



Image 26 - Using a metal dowel, I prodded the poured concrete several times to fill in the air gaps.



Image 28


Image 29 - After shaking the mold a smooth watery surface is created.



Image 21



Image 22


Image 23


Image 24



Image 30


Image 36


Image 32


Image 33


Image 34 - Screws stick out to allow a way for screens to be attached later.



Image 35 - I'm a little worried about this non-uniformity between the keystone and the block to the left.



Img 384


Img 316




Img 357



Img 372



Img 373



Img 374


Img 428


Img 432



Img 442


Img 423


img 394








Starting from the lower two planters, and moving towards the center, the following plants were used on this project:

Mentha requienii - Corsican Mint
Sagina - Scotch Moss
Epimedium x youngianum "roseum' - Young's barrenwort
Dryopteris erythrosora - Autumn Fern
Vinca Major variegata
Polystichum setiferum - Alaskan Soft Shield Fern

No comments:

Post a Comment