Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Structured Pattern

A Structure:

I took the idea of the golden spiral, extruded it, and turned it into a series of stackable elements that can be used to form a structural column. A cylindrical column of concrete, here modeled with chipboard, could be used to run the entire column spine, while the mesh wrapping could hold plants and soil.

A close up shot of the structural column embedded within the golden spiral's center

A Pattern:

I started playing with a regular shape, a pentagon. I moved the shapes around on the computer until I found a pattern I liked:


...and turned it into a layered pattern with chipboard and wire mesh:


I'd really like to experiment more with a pattern like this, but in 3D block form, with some added irregularities...much like this:








No comments:

Post a Comment