Friday, June 24, 2011

For my assignment I had pattern and stack-ability in mind. I wanted individual planters that integrated into a larger structure/system. I focused on the shape of a hexagon due to its strength and ability to stack. This form can be multiplied to form a retaining or any other type of "greenwall". Something I want to improve on this design is the vessel composition. I used a 3 to 1 1/2 ratio (sand to cement) and want to make the block more porous (so water can drain to each unit). As far as problems the biggest issue I had was was making a perfect hexagon (although it does add character being irregular) and extracting the inner mold. I plan to solve this issue by making an outline frame rather than a solid block, and maintaining the irregularity. Here is photo documentation of my process:











No comments:

Post a Comment