Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Layers & Pattern - Structure & Span

Layers & Pattern
I continued to explore the brick module in this exercise. I imposed a regular grid over a 4x8 panel(what is a pretty standard spanning size in wood construction) and through subtraction of some modules in the grid created a void that could accomodate "blankets" of planting material.
This was the concept sketch

Additionally through lamination I was able to experiment with various layers that also exist in wall assemblies. The tall narrow strip on the right for example could be a trellis-like piece good for climbing vines, the small brick modules poking out could be planters for species that like a bit more depth of soil to grow in and the "blankets" could act as a textured background.


Structure & Span:
As the title might imply, I was thinking about the rhythm & size of structure as it relates to spanning members for this exercise. I continued to explore the 4x8 panel and approached this a bit like one might think of how a green curtain wall could be assembled. The result ended up a little less exciting than i had originally hoped but what I did appreciate was the idea that there is a relationship between the transparency of the "planted mesh" and the structure behind that to me was a bit more exciting than the layers in the previous exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment