Thursday, June 23, 2011

Plants | Light | Modularity


When I was in Naoshima, Japan, I came across a simple stone stair that left a not so simple impression on me. It was a granite slab with a rough cut face. In the bottom left corner, a small and intentional divot was cut. On the particular day that I happened to walk up these steps, this divot was filled with rain water, which created a glowing reflection of the sky. The contrast of the rough masonry against the mirror-like surface of the water was the inspiration for my module.



I attempted to create a vessel that embodied this material relationship, and one that utilized the versatile dimensions of a standard modular brick [3 5/8 x 2 1/2 x 7 5/8]. The idea was to create a vessle that acted as a place to grow and as a water feature. It could be used as a paver, or as a cap for a garden wall.

My Concrete Concoction:
-1 part fine aggregate
-1 part coarse aggregate
-1 part cement
-Add water as needed

Major lessons learned: As for the module itself, I had no major hang-ups since the design was very linear and simple. The blog, however, is where my lesson for assignment lies, and here it is: when you open your post to edit it, make sure you know what you're doing, or else you might just delete it accidentally. Oops; second time's a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment