Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rocket Planter

Final Form

The foam core was easy to remove with a xacto knife, screw driver and needle nose pliers.


The final form surprisingly came out fairly articulated.

The inner pink foam replacement also had to be pinned down with further duck tape to hold it in place.

After pouring the concrete with a 2 part dark sand, 1 part cement, .5 liter water mixture, I poured it into the form. Everything went according to plan except the center negative form which I had to replace with pink foam core. Moving the concrete mixture back and forth moved the side forms and began to compromise the sides. I countered this with pink foam core and duck tape to reinforce the outside form.


This negative piece represents the center pot that holds the plant.

I had to consider the negative spaces. Here I show how the drainage for the planter is considered.

I then spliced all the pieces together and created extra pieces to cover the angular gaps. This was an especially difficult task because of the many intersecting angles.

Using a CAD software I then produced exact drawing to produce accurate copies. I then pasted them to foamcore and cut the forms with an xacto knife.

I then created an pre-finalized inked drawing to accurate measurements.

I created a few hand sketches and measured linework drawings to experiment with appropriate proportions.


The following planter utilized an extruded triangular form to satisfy the modular stack as well as the objective to hold a single plant. Since the project had a 8" module limitation, I articulated a few extra details to express the center piece this module could represent.



No comments:

Post a Comment